Residential Property Management and accompanying Surveying works are the core activities of our business. Years of dedication to this highly specialised field have allowed us to refine our management service to the highest possible standard.
Below are examples of the typical activities that we carry out within our comprehensive management service package. However please note that our service can be tailored to suit specific requirements as required:
Please click on each point below for further details or contact our office on 020 8546 9441.
- Relationship with Residents
- Attend quickly to routine telephone enquiries from lessees and residents
- Prompt response to all written enquiries
- Attend regular site inspection visits (monthly in most cases) and residents meeting
- Production of Residents Newsletter (if required)
- Our office is open for residents’ visits during normal working hours
- Twenty four hour emergency service
- Annual service charge estimation
- Weekly / monthly payment of wages and other invoices
- Billing and collection of service charges
- Provision of periodic financial reports of income / expenditure and cash flow
- Annual preparation of draft accounts in anticipation of audit and subsequent liaison with the auditors
- Effective service charge arrears recovery procedures
- Preparation of a reserve fund plan relating to cyclical maintenance
- Repair and Maintenance Management
- Assist in the preparation of a cyclical maintenance and repair plans
- Organise and manage major works projects (see separate section below)
- Deal with day-to-day repairs and maintenance promptly and efficiently, always seeking best value
- Liaise as required between individual residents and contractors
- Preparation of maintenance agreements and contracts for plant and machinery
- Advice on major contract work and the use of specialist professionals and contractors
- Lease Compliance
- Ensure compliance with the terms of leases and policy agreed with the Client
- Where necessary and subject to Landlord authorisation, instruct Solicitors in relation of breaches
- Legal Strategy and Control
- Advice on Collective Enfranchisement and Freehold Purchase
- Advice on formation of Right to Manage Companies and Residents Associations
- Ensure compliance with the terms of leases and policy agreed with the Client
- Lease interpretation
- Liaise with the Client’s Solicitors
- Represent the Landlord at County Court level, Arbitration and Leasehold Valuation Tribunals
- Maintain adequate record-keeping
- Provide first-stage legal advice on all legal matters relating to the estate management. (Specialist legal advice may be required if the matter is overly complex)
- Health & Safety Compliance
- Arrange periodic Health & Safety Inspections and ensure ongoing compliance
- Arrange periodic Fire Risk Assessments and ensure compliance with prevailing fire safety regulations
- Arrange regular testing and inspection of fire safety systems
- Arrange Asbestos surveys and hold register
- Arrange periodic IEE Electrical Safety Inspections
- Arrange periodic water safety testing
- Arrange statutory testing and maintenance of all plant and machinery (lifts, car park barriers, etc)
- Monitor contractor Health & Safety compliance
- Staff / Contractor Management
- Prepare job descriptions for employees and specifications for contractors for competitive tender
- Supervise any employees and regular contractors such as cleaners, gardeners etc
- Establish payment systems and administer PAYE functions
- Ensure appropriate training and compliance with Health & Safety and employment legislation
- Maintain a preferred contractors list. All members to hold adequate public liability insurance, provide satisfactory references and hold relevant qualifications in relation to work undertaken
- Landlord and Tenant Advice
- Advise on Residential Landlord and Tenant procedures, including statute and practice
- Client Support
- Advise the Client on a suggested management policy
- Provide regular status reports of financial, maintenance and legal matters
- Report on significant lessee communications
- Document management procedures and issues
- Assist with a periodic newsletter to residents and other circulars
- Keep Client informed of status of agreed actions
- Company Secretarial
To help our clients comply with the legal requirements of the Companies Acts, we offer a Company Secretarial service that fulfils all of the routine company administrative procedures.
Please click here for full details of our Company Secretarial Service.
- Major Works / Surveying Services
Our property management service covers routine repairs and maintenance but not items of major works. Examples include external redecoration, internal redecoration of common parts, replacement or renewal of roofs, etc.Where major works are needed, diligent preparation and administration of contracts is essential. We strongly recommend that our clients engage the services of a qualified and competent surveyor to safeguard their financial outlay in carrying out the works.
At Bartholomews, we have a highly skilled and experienced Surveying Department that can provide our clients with this service at very competitive rates.
- Major Works Leaseholder Consultation
Where major works are likely to cost any one leaseholder over £250, Section 20 of The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, comes into force. This lengthy process, usually involving three or more separate notices, needs to be handled carefully to avoid future legal problems and difficulties in collecting service charges.
Bartholomews undertake all such duties on behalf of its clients, ensuring full compliance with the prevailing Laws. Our proven and effective service means that you can rest easy.
- How much funds are currently held in your account(s)
- Details of any individual arrears due
- Details of recent expenditure
- How expenditure is measuring against the agreed budget
Bartholomews have a fully computerised accounts system and keep all clients’ funds in independent designated bank accounts. We provide financial information in a clear and concise format. You will at all times know:
We also have a weekly payment schedule ensuring the prompt settlement of clients’ contractors and suppliers’ invoices. All service charge demands are issued promptly, encouraging owners to help the management and maintenance of their building by paying on time.
The Companies Acts place very stringent regulations on all Limited Companies to return their accounts each year. We therefore recommend (and can arrange) an independent annual audit of accounts to ensure accounts are returned promptly.
In addition we assist our clients in the preparation of accounts and can instruct independent auditors if so required.
- Buildings Insurance and General Insurance
- Notifying the insurers of any potential claim
- Arranging for claims forms to be despatched
- Advice on obtaining quotes from reputable contractors
- Processing and monitoring claims
- Dealing with loss adjusters
- Settling invoices with contractors
- Recovering excesses where necessary
Why not benefit from our substantial purchasing power when arranging your buildings insurance?
Our role as Property Managers is to ensure the prompt and effective processing of any insurance claims. We assist with:
- Professional Indemnity Insurance
Bartholomews are covered by substantial Professional Indemnity insurance. If you wish to inspect the current schedule please contact us.
- Individual Leaseholder Services
- Pre-Contract Conveyancing and Remortgaging Enquiries
- Arrears Recovery and Default Action
- Permission to Sub-let or to Carry Out Alterations
Our main responsibility is towards managing the building as a whole, looking after the collective interests of all owners. Where additional work is required for the benefit of one individual owner our costs will be charged directly. Examples of areas where the individual should contribute directly are:
Individual owners must meet the cost of this service. We supply details of all building accounts, lease matters, insurance details, any disputes, freeholder details, maintenance programmes budget forecasts and all other such information that may be required.
With our expertise, we can put together such information in the correct format much faster than most lessees will be able to do so independently.
Every lease clearly states the owner must pay any ground rent or service charge within a specific period. Our policy is to follow up any overdue payment with firstly a polite reminder and then a final warning of legal action.
If further action is needed the owner must bear the costs arising, including Land Registry searches, approaches to the lessees’ mortgage lender and referrals to solicitors to commence Court Action.
We have established standard procedures whereby owners have to provide information and arrange for safeguards to be in place before consent can be granted, to protect the interests of all owners when deciding on such applications.